The average cost of boiler repair is £170 to £360 for the most common repairs. There is a list of itemized repairs below.
The most expensive boiler repair is the heat exchanger at £385 to £470. If your heat exchanger fails and the boiler isn’t covered by warranty, then it’s probably time to examine the cost for boiler replacement instead of repair.
Whether to repair or replace is discussed in more detail in the FAQs at the end of the post.
An Overview of Costs to Repair a Boiler
Here are common boiler repairs and their cost.
|Boiler Repair Costs||Cost|
|Automatic Air Vent||£125 – £170|
|Air Pressure Switch||£180 – £210|
|Burner||£265 – £300|
|Burner Cleaning||£75 – £95|
|De-scaling a Tank||£115 – £150|
|Diverter Valve||£325 – £360|
|Expansion Vessel||£280 – £315|
|Fan||£215 – £240|
|Flue||£135 – £160|
|Gas Valve||£230 – £285|
|Heat Exchanger||£385 – £420|
|Ignition Leads||£190 – £225|
|Pump||£195 – £215|
|PCB – Control Board||£240 – £335|
|Seal Replacement||£125 – £185|
|Thermocouple||£135 – £150|
|Thermostat Replacement||£100 – £130|
Boiler Repair Cost Factors
The boiler repair price list shows repairs made by a professional. We do not recommend you make a repair yourself unless it is a part that has nothing to do with combustion or the proper venting of the boiler. Repair companies need to have gas safe registration and if you start messing around with the boiler yourself, this can not only invalidate the warrenty but it can also be very dangerous.
The main cost factor, of course, is the price of the part that failed and must be replaced.
However, there are a few cost factors that are more general and will help you estimate where on the cost spectrum your repair will fall.
- Boiler Size – The more capacity a boiler has, the larger the parts generally are, and the more they will cost.
- Brand – Some brands (e.g. Grant, Viessman) are known for higher quality, and their parts often cost more than those for cheaper boilers like those from Alpha and Potterton. Ideally, of course, the better the quality, the less often you’ll have a boiler fault.
- Warranty Length – This goes hand in hand with quality. Better units have 10-year warranties whilst lesser boilers are covered for 5 years. Hence, it is more likely you’ll have to pay full cost for a repair in the first decade if the boiler is a cheaper model.
- Boiler Accessibility – If the boiler is installed in cramped quarters and is more difficult to access, then cost might be higher. Boiler engineers don’t like working bent over, on their knees or in otherwise tight spots.
- Repair Time – Engineers determine their quotes by the part price and how long the repair will take. A repair like the heat exchanger requires disassembling much of the boiler, and that takes time and leads to higher cost.
- Size of the Repair Company – Studies show that larger companies have more overhead and general expenses, so their boiler repair rates are as much as 40% higher. Will you get better service from a large company? It isn’t guaranteed. The best approach is to get quotes from several companies with good reputations and experienced boiler engineers. Choose one you believe will make the repair properly and at a fair price.
- Where you Live – Hourly rates for boiler engineers in London and nearby are much higher than in other areas. If you live there, you know that everything costs more in your area.
- Emergency Repairs – Repairs made during off hours such as evenings and weekends may cost 50% most than costs listed in the table above. If you can wait until normal business hours, you might save a lot of money.
Before Calling a Boiler Repair Company
Sometimes the problem is minor and can be resolved without a repair.
Most boiler repair companies ask callers a few questions about the boiler problems before sending out an engineer to diagnose and possibly repair the issue.
- Is the water turned on?
- Is power turned on? Has the circuit been tripped?
- Is the fuel valve open?
- If you have an oil tank, is it empty?
- If the boiler is giving a fault code, have you checked your boiler manual to know what it is? Does the manual offer a simple solution based on the code?
There’s good reason to do this. If the boiler engineer comes to your home only to find that the problem is a simple one, you might still be charged a minimum rate of 1 hour of time at a cost of £50 to £80 or more depending on where you live and the time of day or week.
Read your Manual
The manufacturer provides a manual that is a wealth of information. Reading it, you will learn how your boiler is supposed to work and what fault codes mean. It lists the codes and what to do to clear them and get the boiler functioning again. If you don’t have your manual, it might be available to view or download from the manufacturer site. The boiler should have a plate on its side showing the model number.
Boiler Repair Cost FAQs
These are common questions and their answers.
How long do boilers last?
The average longevity is 15-25 years depending on the brand, how heavily it is used and how well the homeowner maintains it. Having it serviced every few years can improve durability, so it will require fewer repairs and will last longer.
Quality boilers that are given proper care often last 30 years.
What is boiler service, how much does it cost and how often should it be done?
Boiler service is when a qualified engineer checks the boiler to make sure it is working properly and safely. A checklist is gone through, and minor repairs might be suggested that will prevent major repairs later. The boiler will be cleaned and tuned during service.
The rate for boiler service is £65-£115 and should be done every 1-3 years. The older the boiler, the more consistent you should have boiler service.
When should a replacement boiler be considered?
The question of boiler repair vs replacement has many variables.
Age: Once a boiler is 12-15 years old, replacement should be considered. This is especially true if it has already required expensive repairs. A novel approach is to add the age of the boiler in years and the cost of the repair in hundreds of pounds. If the number exceeds 20, then repair is a cost-effective measure.
Example 1: A boiler is eight and requires a £400 repair. 4+8=12. Repair it.
Example 2: A boiler is 17 when the £400 repair is diagnosed. 17+4=21. Replace it.
How long you plan to live in your current home: If replacement is an option due to age or repair cost, then here’s a guiding principle – The longer you intend to stay put, the more sense it makes to upgrade to a new, efficient boiler with a good warranty.
However, if you plan to sell your home in a year or two, then maybe making the £400 repair on the old boiler rather than spending £1,500-£3,500 having a new boiler installed would be wise.